COVID 19 Operating Policies & Procedures – Members
The Guelph Tool Library is now located in Old Quebec Street Shops, 55 Wyndham Street N in unit T8. The GTL will be open for 2 days per week and 6 hours per day at this time. If and when operating hours increase, the policies listed below will be updated to reflect any necessary changes.
Self Screening and Safety
Members are responsible for conducting a self-screening prior to entering the Guelph Tool Library. Any member experiencing the following is asked to contact email@example.com prior to entering the premises:
- Fever, chills, difficulty breathing
- Severe chest pain (constant tightness or crushing sensation)
- Sore throat, runny nose, or cough (not related to known cause such as allergies or a pre-existing condition)
- Unusual or long-lasting headache
Members are asked to contact firstname.lastname@example.org if they or anyone in their household have:
- Tested positive for COVID-19 or is awaiting test results
- Travelled outside of Canada in the past 14 days
- Received instructions to self-quarantine
Members can arrange for contactless pickup of tools (via email – email@example.com) that they currently have loan if they are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or are under instructions to self-quarantine. Members experiencing symptoms or under self quarantine may not borrow tools, and are asked to voluntarily pause the usage of their membership until they have received negative test results or have been symptom-free for 2 weeks.
Mandatory Face Coverings
All visitors to Old Quebec St Shoppes and the Guelph Tool Library must comply with local by-laws for mandatory face coverings, with the exception of those who are medically exempt. Those with medical exemptions are asked to consider our free delivery option. Anyone attending in-person programs at the Guelph Tool Library will be required to keep their mask or face covering on for the duration of their visit, with the exception of breaks for water when in a designated area away from other participants.
Time slots are required for borrowing, and members have a 30 minute window to borrow their reserved tools. Members will be required to log in to https://guelphtoollibrary.myturn.com/library/ to access their account, book their tools and schedule their time slot. Up to 2 members may book the same time slot, allowing for up to 16 outgoing transactions in one operating day. Time slots must be reserved through Myturn prior to visiting GTL. Members will not be able to place same-day reservations. Tools will not be available on a drop-in basis at this time. Reservations must be confirmed 48 hours in advance to allow the volunteer to pick the items.
How to place a reservation:
- Log in to https://guelphtoollibrary.myturn.com/
- Search for and select the tool you would like to borrow.
- Click “reserve” and select a date that is at least 2 days in advance (up to 7 days in advance).
- Select the duration for the loan period (7 days). Self renewal is not available at this time. Please note that loan period is 3 days for items that are on high demand and it is noted in the item description.
- Choose from the available time slots.
- Once all tools are selected, click the shopping cart icon and select “submit”
- The member will receive an email informing them their pending request has been received by admins.
- An admin will confirm the reservation 24 hours in advance, once the item has been prepared for pickup.
- Members will receive an email confirming pickup time. If you do not receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of your pick up time or you receive a denial email, please check in with the Guelph Tool Library via email to check on the status of your reservation
Time slots are not required for returns, but there may be a short queue to process returns. Members will be served one at a time, and may be asked to wait outside the double doors if there are 2 people already inside (1 return, 1 loan)
Members are not permitted in the main areas of the tool library, including any areas behind plexiglass barriers or on the other side of desks, tables, racks, or spacing barriers. Members are not permitted into the kitchen, washrooms, offices, or storage areas of the Guelph Tool Library. Public washroom facilities are available in the mall, across the hall, on the other side of Coco Latte.
How to pick up a tool:
- Proceed to UNIT T8 in Old Quebec Street Shoppes. 15 minute parking spaces are available at the entrance to the West Parkade. These spaces are first come, first serve and subject to availability. Parking in the West Parkade is $2 per hour from 8 am to 6 pm Monday to Friday. Parking is free after 6 pm Monday to Friday and all day Sunday. Saturdays are a flat rate of $2. Special event parking is $5. Street parking is free for up to 2 hours any time.
- Review the COVID-19 Self-Screening Policies prior to entry (Located at entrance to GTL)
- Follow the directional arrows and social distancing markers and proceed to the “loans” desk. If the social distancing marker in the “loans” line is occupied, please wait outside the library doors until the previous person has exited the tool library.
- Provide the librarian at the “loans” desk with your first and last name.
- The librarian will confirm your timeslot and tool requests and place your tools on the desk. Bulky items will be placed on the floor next to the desk.
- Remove your tools from the desk or floor. Once the librarian has completed the transaction, you are free to take your tools.
- If you need to borrow a hand-cart to get your tools to your vehicle, you will need to return it directly to the GTL immediately after unloading them. Note that the hand cart is subject to availability and cannot leave the proximity of Old Quebec Street Shoppes. Those with bulky items that will require the use of the cart should exclusively park in the 15 minute spaces or in the West Parkade.
How to return a tool:
- Proceed to UNIT T8 in Old Quebec Street Shoppes. 15 minute parking spaces are available at the entrance to the West Parkade. Parking in the West Parkade is $2 per hour from 8 am to 6 pm Monday to Friday. Parking is free after 6 pm Monday to Friday and all day Sunday. Saturdays are a flat rate of $2. Special event parking is $5. Street parking is free for up to 2 hours any time.
- Review the COVID-19 Self-Screening Policies prior to entry (Located at entrance to GTL)
- Follow the directional arrows and social distancing markers and proceed to the “returns” desk. If the social distancing markers in the “returns” line is occupied, please wait outside the doors to the GTL until the previous member is finished with their transaction.
- Wipe down the tool with the provided disinfectant spray where possible. Discard the paper towel in the provided bin.
- If you are processing a return and a loan at the same time, please proceed to the “returns” desk first, complete your return, and then head to the “loans” desk to receive your outgoing tools.
- The librarian will return your tools in the system and shelve them for a mandatory 24 hour quarantine period.
- If you need to borrow a hand-cart to get your tools to your vehicle, you can obtain it from the librarian and then leave it in the GTL immediately after returning the item. Note that the hand cart is subject to availability and cannot leave the proximity of Old Quebec Street Shoppes. Those with bulky items that will require the use of the cart should exclusively park in the 15 minute spaces or in the West Parkade.
- All loans are 7 days with the exception of a number of items that are in high demand. The loan period for those is specified in the item description.
- Late fees are $1/day
- Round-Trip delivery is available upon request and is subject to availability. This service is being offered free of charge until November 30th, funded by a grant from the Canadian Red Cross. Starting December 1st, this service will be available for $20 round trip.
- If an item is more than one week overdue, you can arrange for pickup via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Members can borrow a maximum of 10 tools at a time. There are no gas powered tools available at this time, with the exception of the rototiller, which is available by delivery only and may be subject to a $20 fee (round trip).
- All loans must be reserved and time slots must be made 48 hours in advance and all items are subject to availability.
- All tools enter a minimum 24 hour quarantine period upon return, and will be sanitized where possible.
- No catering or dish sets will be loaned at this time. Catering and dish sets will be stored off-site.
- Items not returned in clean condition will be accepted at the discretion of the supervisor, and may be refused. Items that require cleaning but are not refused are subject to a cleaning fee of $5.
Anyone experiencing cold or flu symptoms will be asked to voluntarily pause the usage of the GTL until 2 weeks after symptoms cease. The GTL reserves the right to refuse loans to those exhibiting cold or flu symptoms.
Members are asked to use caution and discretion while using all GTL tools
- Tools for food production and preservation should be washed prior to and following use, and must be returned clean. Tools returned not cleaned may be refused, or subject to a $5 cleaning fee at the discretion of the on-shift librarian.
- While we make every effort to sanitize tools and we have a mandatory 48 hold prior to loaning out returned items, we cannot guarantee that the use of shared items is without risk.
- All members may only borrow for personal use. Tools must only be used by the member or members listed on the membership and are not for use with additional individuals within the same or separate dwellings. Anyone wishing to borrow tools must register with the Guelph Tool Library as a member.
- In addition to sanitization practices, all tools are inspected for safety and checked over to ensure that parts and accessories are complete.